Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The more English you are exposed to in English classes, the better you will get.

The more English you are exposed to in English classes, the better you will get.

-> I totally agree with the opinion above. However, I'd like to adopt it into English class in Korean primary school. As you know, Koreans are not native speaks of English and also primary school teachers's communicative compentence is not excellent enough to speak in English during the class.
Furthermore, each class has at least 35 students.. Could you image that a teach teaches them in a communicative way .. using in English?
In this situation, this opinion has threatened them. I am sure that even native speak teachers have difficult in teaching them and actually, I witnessed it in Korea.
For this taken for granted opinion, to implement into English class room in Korea, it would take much more time than we expected. This is becasue I really find that language barrier is extreamly high..


I'd like to hear your opinion.. -> Even though a second language teacher does not speak a target language fluetly, it would be better that he/she teaches students in a target language.???
Like me.. after going back to teaching, teaching students in English although I know my inproper pronuciation.. heaps of grammar mistakes.

1 comment:

just_susan said...

Yes it is a challenge to teach English with a more relaxed and communicative based style Moon but it can be done. All of my classes in Thailand were 35 plus... with my largest class having 48 students... My students thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to communicate in a more real world way.

However, it was much easier for me as a native speaker. Many of the Korean English teachers I met didn't have the language skill level to be able to make this work in their classrooms.

I think the answer is that the Korean Government needs to concentrate on some effective personal development programs for their current teachers as well as looking at new training methods for the upcoming teaching generation.

Regards
Susan H