Friday, April 20, 2007

Don't call each other by their first name in Korea.

Koreans rarely call each other by their first name except for close friends and children.

-> It is common to call others by their first name in many other countries; by contrast, it is not common in Korea. Although students often do use first names among themselves and adults only use first names with those who are younger than them. At other times, Korean call people by their first name together with (Mr./Ms.). This is very commonly used polite title among colleagues. To be more polite, Korean put one’s name and “teacher” together.

So.. if you want to call me in Korea.. call me "Park teacher" ^^* although it sounds formal.


2 comments:

just_susan said...

Hello Moon,
Yes I was amazed that this was so in Korea, especially as all the teachers AND more amazingly the students didn't even ask me how I would like to be addressed at the school. They just simply called me Susan! :) Up until then I had not allowed children to call me by my first name. However since returning from Korea the first time it has become my practice to be called Susan by everyone.

That said if you would prefer me to call you Ms Park please don't hesitate to tell me and I will willingly and happily comply.

Regards
Susan H

Moon said...

In Korea, we don't want to be called with these titles, Mr. Miss, Mrs. I think, this is because these titles had been wrongly used in the past. For example, at the low quality bar, the waiteress were usually called, like Miss +their family name.
In fact, I have no idea about these titles because it comes to me very ambiguously.

I am not a native speaker of English. ^^*