Friday, March 16, 2007

Interesting thing from ED 14 studying.

Theseday, I am suffering from doing my first "Languae and Culture" assignmnet. However, I'm also having fun from new knowledge..
In terms of the nuit's focus on language and culture, my particular interest relates to the women's title..I read the book talked about the title for Korean marriaged women. It is said that the title, Samonim, was invented to call successful men's wives differently from ordinary marriage women when the capitalist industrialization was rapidly growing. Samonim has the literal meaning of mother of a teacher. In confucian culture, teaching was regarded as the most respectful job, so Samonim refferred to the most prestigious social status. They demonstrated that women did not have their own economic status and their economic status was dependent on their husbands' class position in the patrialrchal society. This word is still commonly usded.
Thus, for me to be called Samonim in Korea, I feel I have to marrage the man who belongs to a high class. SUCH A SEXIST TITLE.. When can we escape from male -dominated culture?

4 comments:

just_susan said...

Moon,
This is one of life's ongoing conundrums... the older I get the less it bothers me. I found the best way to counter this male dominated language is to invent an alternative for yourself that simply expresses who you are in a non-sexist way... or in a female context... whichever suits you best. That's why now I am just_susan as opposed to Susan xyz as any of my surnames and I have the choice of three stem from a) my father b) my first husband or c) my second husband ... and this used to be a source of great irritation to me. At one stage I was going to change my surname to something that expressed who I was or who I wanted to be and my entire family protested... the amusing thing was that my mother suggested I should take on her maiden name... totally missing the obvious that it was my grandfather's name ... hmmm in the end I decided to be just_susan and left it at that. :)
Regards Susan H

dlh_downunder said...

Mun Hee - I have enjoyed your last 2 posts very much - interesting discussion! Obviously susan has too - we will have to set up a 3-way discussion on this topic, perhaps?
See you tomorrow!
-Debra-

just_susan said...

Moon I am so sorry I couldn't make it on Saturday to the workshop. I was not very well and didn't sleep at all the night before. The last time I drove when I felt like that I had a car accident and I promised myself I would never be that foolish again. Fortunately no-one got hurt. But it was a real wake up call for me.

I promised I would bring you a copy of Dreamweaver to use at home... If you still want it I can bring it in for the next drop in session. If you need it sooner perhaps I can post it to you. I just got the newest program from my brother in Thailand. It's the same as the one at QUT. Let me know if I can help. If I don't hear from you I'll send an email just in case you don't read this.
Regards Susan H

Moon said...

Hello.. Susan.
I am having a pleasure time with Dreamweaver at uni everyday..
Thanks for your kindness..
Your teaching is a great value for my webquest.
I don't have my own computer, so I don't need to Dreamweaver software, thanks though.
Initially, I worried about that other uni computers except for B403 computers don't have DreamWeaver.. but fortunately,, almost computers have..

Anyway thanks for your kindness.. someday I would like to repay you.. ^^*

Best regards ..Moon