Friday, March 9, 2007

The difference between Korean-Egnlsih

(1) Koreans use “we” where “I” would be used in English.

(2) Koreans use strict verb forms according to who you are to speak to.

(3) Koreans hardly call their first name. If we call teachers’ name, it is regarded very rude and parents might be asked to come to school..Therefore, when I studied in EAP, my teahcer asked us to call her 'her name' , not 'teacher'. However I couldn't use her name to call her for a while..
In this point, I'm still thinking that it would be better to ask my student to call me "Mun-hee" or just "Teacher" as the way it is translated.

1 comment:

just_susan said...

Moon,
Actually when I taught in Korea at the Hogwan the students all called me Susan which I found very disconcerting at first. I would have preferred to be called 'teacher' but now I am used to it. I come from the old school where we called our teachers by their surnames... Miss Green or Mr Buchanan. This wouldn't suit me at all these days as I don't really identify with my surname... so being called Susan is the best option. I think as long as your students show you courtesy and respect it really doesn't matter what they call you.
Regards Susan H